I love the fresh scent of lemons. There is nothing like the results I get when I clean with lemons. Not to mention the brightening effect to our senses, whether it be visually, aromatically, or emotionally. I like to keep a stash of fresh lemons in my fridge all the time, not only for my water each day, but for all kinds of household and personal purposes.
Since we’re in the midst of winter, I wanted give you my top 9 ways to clean with lemons, for the perfect perk-up to chase away the winter blues.
9 Ways To Clean With Lemons
Deodorize The Garbage Disposal
1. Put pieces of lemon into your garbage disposal to refresh it. This will remove any stale odors from the disposal. Make sure to run enough water through the disposal at the same time. Afterwards, the disposal will smell lemony and clean.
Clean Your Cutting Boards
2. Clean your cutting boards by rubbing them with a half of a lemon. The juice from it will not only remove the stains and odors, but also will disinfect them since the lemons have antibacterial properties.
3. Shine up copper with a lemon half and some salt. Sprinkle the salt onto the lemon half and then rub it on your copper item. Squeeze out the juice as you rub it on the item and this will remove the tarnish on the item. Rinse with warm water and dry with a clean towel.
4. Clean the microwave easily with the help of this fruit. Cut up a whole lemon and place the pieces into a microwavable bowl that is large enough also to hold a cup or two of hot water. Place the bowl in the microwave and run it for about a minute on high. Simply wipe out the microwave with a clean damp cloth afterwards. The microwave is not clean and sanitary to use once again.
Natural All Purpose Cleaner
5. Mix equal parts of water and fresh-squeezed lemon juice together and pour the mixture into a spray bottle. This is ideal for cleaning countertops, sinks, tubs and even the kitchen table. Rinse and dry the items afterwards. An ideal natural way to clean and disinfect.
Degreaser For Dishes
6. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice to you dishwater along with the dishwashing detergent to boost your ability to degrease your dishes. It also kills the germs on your dirty dishes. Once you scrub your dirty dishes clean, rinse the dishes with warm water and dry them with a clean towel or let them air-dry.
Whiten and Brighten Laundry
7. You can add lemon juice into your white clothes in the washing machine to bleach them. This is ideal for polyester or cotton, but is not recommended for silk. Add at least a cup of lemon juice in hot water for a tub of wash. If you have a soak cycle, use it to give the clothes more time to soak in the water. If not, just set the machine on the longest wash cycle possible. Rinse the clothes and dry them as normal.
Cut the Soap Scum
8. The citric acid in the lemons will cut through the soap scum on bathroom tiles. Just apply pure lemon juice onto the tiles and scrub with a brush. You will notice how the juice even breaks through the soap scum residue left because of the hard water. Rinse after scrubbing and see how the tiles shine once again.
Hair Cleansing Rinse
9. Mix 1/4 cup of lemon juice in about 2 cups of warm water and use it to rinse you hair after you shampoo it. This will rinse out any soap residue on your hair. It helps your hair to shine.
I hope you have discovered some new ways to clean with lemons to freshen and brighten your home!