Homeschool Room Rain Gutter Bookshelves

I thought it would be fun to repost this popular DIY project we did last year.  These rain gutter bookshelves, have served us well.  This wall in our homeschool room has changed quite a big and I will show you in a future post how our school room functions now. We still use these bookshelves every day, and I love the flexibility of them.  Enjoy!

Homeschool Room Rain Gutter Bookshelves

rain gutter bookshelves

Homeschool Project #1:  Rain Gutter Bookshelves.

I have been seeing rain gutter bookshelves online for several years, and couldn’t wait to try this inexpensive way to display books and make reading much more interactive for my kids.  I love the way the rain gutter shelves encourage reading, but also become the art on the wall. The array of color is very stimulating.  You feel like you are in a candy store!

Here is how we did the project.

Supplies We used for Project:

• 3- 10 foot lengths of PVC rain gutters
  • 9 gutter braces (we used 3 per 8 foot length)
  • 6  gutter end caps (2 per shelf)
  • hack saw
  • stud finder (if you need one)
  • level
  • screws
  • cordless screw driver
  • Total cost of project under $50.00
  • The gutters were only $5.88 each. The braces and end caps added the additional cost.
  • Total time for project: 45 minutes.

rain gutter bookshelves

Mark and cut rain gutters to desired length with hack saw. – we cut ours to 8 foot lengths, you can choose whatever works for you.

Locate studs and mark them on wall.

rain gutter bookshelves

Have one person hold the gutter and the level, and the other person can screw in the braces.  If you are using shorter lengths you can adjust the amount of braces needed.

We spaced our rain gutters 16 inches apart from each other.  I have seen all kinds of ways that people do these, varying the distance between shelves.  I wanted mine to work with most book sizes, and we grabbed a variety of our books to check for adequate height ahead of time.

rain gutter bookshelf

Slide on end caps.

Here is a good photo to show how the braces were spaced to hold the weight of the gutter and the books.

homeschool room

Here is the Before/After photo to see what this wall looked like before we started the room redo. We had bookshelves that were always hard to keep neat.  We took them out and love this solution so much more.

rain gutter bookshelf

My report: Within minutes of putting up the first rain gutter bookshelf, our kids ran to get their books and started filling them up as fast as they could. That was then followed by lots of reading! Just what we wanted.

Mission accomplished!

I think next we are going to put some of these in our boy’s bedroom.

Maybe you would like to try rain gutter bookshelves?  This is a simple and fun project that yields big results.

**For those of you looking for the Life In Bloom link up.  I have decided to let it go at this time.   Thank you for participating!

Signature
Print Friendly

Comments

• says

Thanks Luke, soon they will be filled with Sonlight books! We love your company the best. Hands down our favorite curriculum.

1. Karen says

Great idea Denise! Love the step by step instructions! Hope this is a great homeschooling year for you and the boys! Blessings!

2. says

I think this would be great in our boy’s bedrooms, but there isn’t enough open wall space. Maybe we can go “up” and rotate the books every now and then. Hmm…I have always loved the idea! Thanks for sharing your project with us!

• says

I have seen them done parallel to a bed on a wall at chair rail height, with just a single rain gutter shelf. Maybe that would work for you?

3. says

This is such a great idea, Denise, and a timely post, as my daughter is looking for something like this for their children’s rooms. I am so glad to be back to visiting blogs, and yours is so uplifting!
    Blessings,
    Laurie

4. says

Love your rain gutter book shelves. I too have seen them over and over again online and they make perfect sense! I decided to do one but used wood instead to form simple shelves. We painted them white and I really like how they add to the room and how the children respond to them. Great tutorial by the way. It always helps to see those extras steps. : )

5. says

Stunning! I love that the kids can see the book cover – my kids pull everything off the shelf trying to find books. I wish we had better walls to do this!

• says

You can make them a lot shorter. I have seen them done all kinds of ways, You never know you might be able to find a wall that will work for it.

6. says

That turned out great! I’ve been nervous to do this, but I think you’ve finally convinced me. It’s easy to picture now since we have most of those books ;)

7. Gina says

I’ve been wanting to put these up for some time now only problem is the gutters I find online or at the hardware store all seem so deep. Where did you find your gutters or is there a way to make them not as deep ? Would appreciate any help !

• says

Gina,

I am not sure about the depth. I think ours are just standard. I went and measured ours, and they are 4.5 inches deep. My husband just bought these at our local Home Depot.

Hope that helps you!

8. Del Marie Riley says

How clever and cheap too. I’ve never seen these before. I can use them in my studio, my garage, my bathroom, all over. Plus with it just being the braces that go into the wall, it would be so easy to take them down and move to a new place. Thanks for reposting this.

9. says

Oh my goodness, I LOVE this idea. They look so clean and uncluttered, and I def have the books to fill it up :)

Trackbacks